Wednesday, February 26, 2014

{Sigh}

Where do I begin? Where have I been?

Let's begin with the latter. I've been here. Just on the other side of my computer screen, but I don't seem to have much to say. I've talked about blogger burnout before, but it just seems to get worse instead of better. I'm still cooking and baking, still taking photos (although I'm not really happy with most of them), but when it comes to putting the dishes into words and recipes.... well, it just escapes me.

Maybe it's because I'm trying to do too many things at a time. I have seriously considered the idea of switching my blog from blogspot.com to its own domain. I've been reading and studying, but it is a HUGE learning curve for me. I'm not a programmer, nor do I have a desire to be one, but some of those skills are required to build a new website.

I read expert advice on how to be a better blogger. Use all the social media available, they say, but I get overwhelmed: twitter, facebook, sulia, tumblr, reddit, google+ and there's plenty more. Who has that kind of time to spend all day at the computer? I'd never have time to do what I love most. Cook and bake.

In the midst of my burnout/questioning/soul searching I've determined I am not ready to move forward quite yet. So here I am on blogspot.com. For now I think I will make myself comfortable here. I have a Facebook page and a Twitter handle. Those are plenty for me right now.

So what can you expect from me in the near future? Exactly what I have done in the past. I will cook, bake, take photos and share them with you.

I know it's already February... correction, I know February is almost gone... but let's start with herbs and other stuff.

During the spring, summer and early fall, I grow my own herbs. Basil, chives, tarragon, sage, parsley, oregano, marjoram just to name a few. Late last fall I decided to cut up and freeze the chives and tarragon in olive oil in ice cube trays (I love Pinterest!) for use during the winter. It worked out beautifully. I have used the onion chives and garlic chives for my weekly batch of Focaccia. Unfortunately, I didn't come across the freezer idea until after the first heavy frost to which the basil, sage, parsley,, oregano and marjoram succumbed.

Speaking of frost... and ice... and snow... and winter... I'm over it. Really over it. We've had a few nice mild days, you know, as a teaser. But it is supposed to get cold again and the little girl inside of me is screaming, Nooooooo!!!!! I want warm weather! I want crop pants, t-shirts and flip-flops!

Okay. Enough of my tantrum.

What I'd really like is to be able to move my tropical plants and Meyer lemon tree from the garage where it's been winterized since before the first frost in November. They are doing pretty well, but I'd like my garage back.

We pulled the plants out to the driveway during those nice few days. The tropicals are a little yellow in spots, but some good fertilizer, heavy watering and sunshine should do the trick.

Garden Feb 2014 photo Garden2-20144_zps99597aaa.jpg

I have seven Meyer lemons that continued to grow over the winter and they are almost ready to pick.

Garden Feb 2014 photo Garden2-20146_zps0eec01e6.jpg

And blossoms have already started to develop for the next crop.

Garden Feb 2014 photo Garden2-20145_zpsa3ca9b80.jpg

I went out to the back yard to dump old coffee grounds in the garden and, even though temps have been below freezing at night, my onion chives are already starting to peak through.

Garden Feb 2014 photo Garden2-2014_zps4a399330.jpg

The garlic chives aren't as hardy, but they, too, are showing signs of life.

Garden Feb 2014 photo Garden2-20142_zps185a697c.jpg

Shockingly, last year's Italian parsley is also peaking through. That almost never happens!

Garden Feb 2014 photo Garden2-20143_zps596daa9f.jpg

It almost gives me hope that Spring is right around the corner.

5 comments:

essay best said...

Good post, you have written it beautifully. I love the mother nature and these pictures are meal for soul. Thank you for sharing it

essay best said...

Its nice to see that you do grow soem of the plants and vegetables. The lemons are looking so fresh and juicy on the tree. I love gardening and planting also

mostafashaban said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mostafashaban said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sophie Grace said...

eems like a good idea for taking the kids to somewhere they may not usually appreciate. I will do that when my kids are old enough. drama wiki

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...